Web Accessibility Architect
Innovating and delivering accessible solutions to make the Web usable by all.
Dedicated professional with diverse experience in corporate and open-source product development. Web Accessibility advancement and evangelism that impacts products, customer strategies, and industry standards. Plays well with others and works independently to ferret out problems and deliver innovative solutions. Shares knowledge via excellent written and verbal communication skills and invited speaking engagements.
- Project Management
- Solution Innovation
- Broker Communication
Knowbility, Austin, TX
Sr. Accessibility Strategist5/2018 - Present
Design and develop online and on-site training to educate individuals and clients on all aspects of accessibility. Actively engage and mentor clients to design, build, and remediate websites and applications to ensure accessibility to all.
Develop online accessibility training modules for all levels of corporate function and hierarchy.
Provide technical consultation to clients on all aspects of Web accessibility.
- Aid in the development of accessibility strategies and infrastructure within corporations.
WebA11y.com, Westford, MA
Founder, Accessibility Consulting7/2017 - Present
Well known web accessibility expert and speaker providing strategic accessibility consulting and promoting digital inclusion. Accomplished in the full spectrum of accessibility; evaluating to WCAG 2.0 and Section 508, remediating, training, and programming, as well as developing corporate accessibility infrastructure.
- Providing strategic technical input into a digital inclusion consulting startup.
IBM, Littleton, MA
Trusted Identity Solutions Architect2016 - 2017
Mobile Identity specialist driving transformation across digital businesses to revolutionize identity management across 2 dimensions; self-sovereign identity and verification of identity. Help to build a consumer oriented cloud-based device management solution for identity instruments in your wallet. Actively contribute to the architecture, documentation, and evangelism of the project as well as participation in ISO/IEC JTC1 working group for driver's license/ID cards.
Co-wrote and edited 42-page position paper on Digital Identity submitted to ISO /INCITS that spawned the establishment of a Study Group on Mobile Devices and related Technologies for Identification.
- Promoted Mobile Identity by authoring blog posts and connecting to potential partners.
Senior Technical Staff Member 2013 - 2016
Served as accessibility expert for the IBM Acquisition team performing due diligence of target companies. Evaluated target products and provided a budget and remediation plan to bring them into accessibility compliance. Concurrently contributed expertise and bug fixes to the Readium open source EPUB project to enable the browser-based reader for use by people with disabilities.
Provided roadmaps and budgets enabling new IBM acquisitions to address accessibility issues within the first product cycle, thus maintaining IBM's reputation for compliant products.
- Created unique spreadsheets and formulas for estimating remediation costs that standardizes the due diligence review for accessibility.
Evangelized EPUB and Readium to promote a solution that provides fully accessible, interactive documentation and drives the industry away from the less accessible pdf format.
iOS Mobile Architect2009 - 2013
Contributed to the PhoneGap/Apache Cordova open source Mobile development platform. Evangelist via speaking engagements as well as participation in public forums. Continued to maintain accessibility focus in the mobile space as well as supervising and consulting on ongoing Dojo accessibility efforts.
Researched and prototyped various technologies influencing IBM's mobile strategy.
- Developed iOS libraries that added core functionality to Apache Cordova.
- Supported the use of Dojo actively at IBM leading to more accessible products.
Web Accessibility Architect 2004 - 2009
Provided web accessibility consulting and direction for product groups within IBM Software Group. Participated in the development of Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) specification and evangelized within IBM and the industry. Representative to the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 working group. Accessibility Lead for the Dojo Open Source Toolkit
- Contributed as a Subject Matter Expert to development and advocacy of ARIA, leading to it becoming a W3C specification.
- IBM, Littleton, MA
- Fidelity Investments, Boston, MA
- Principal Software Engineer
- Lotus Development Corporation, Cambridge, MA
- Principal Software Engineer
- Senior Software Engineer/Development Manager
- Software Engineer
- Compatibility Engineer
- Product Support Supervisor
- Product Support Specialist
Education / Certification
- Certificate in Technical Communications, Univ. of CA - San Diego Extension, San Diego, CA
- Master of Science (MS), Computer Science, Boston University Metropolitan College, Boston, MA
- Bachelor of Science (BS), Natural Resources with Highest Distinction; minor in Soil Science. Univ. of Maine, Orono, ME